Cardboard games are popular entertainment among people. Both adults and children like to play such games. Besides, it is customary to collect cards. You can accumulate investments up to a million dollars with your collection. As an example, one of the most precious cards, the Black Lotus, can cost from 100 to 250 thousand dollars per card.
But it doesn't matter how valuable the MTG cards would be. Every collector is bound to face the fact that there are too many of them. On the one hand, you don’t want to throw away the cards. On the other hand, there is nowhere to put them, and the shelf for cards spits them out.
In this case, it is best to receive small funds from their sale. Yes, selling cards can be a little slow, but it's worth the time you spend on it.
In our article, we will tell you how to sell MTG cards correctly, what services to use and how to prepare cards for sale. You'll also get practical advice on caring for cards to get the best-selling condition.
How To Sell Your MTG Cards?
At first glance, selling Magic The Gathering cards may be relatively simple. After all, you need to take a picture of the cards, create an ad and wait for the money. But everything is more complex. Sometimes the sale of any item on the Internet can drag on for months or even years. Our article will help you reduce this period. So, after reading, you will learn how to:
- Correctly take photographs of cards;
- Write a short and informative ad;
- Select only working tools for sale;
- To be a competitive player in the collectables market.
We should first start with selecting the cards you want to sell.
1. Prepare Your Cards
Before selling the MTG collection, you must sort it out correctly. This will help to group the cards according to different characteristics. And this, in turn, will provide you with a faster sale and search for a client. We'll look at how to sort your collection correctly in the following blocks.
You can follow any principles for sorting your Magic cards. You can even collect all your unwanted cards in a pile, take a picture of them and wait for the client. But is it possible to guarantee quick success in this case? We doubt it very much. So here's how you should sort your cards:
1. Lay out the cards. If you have a huge collection, cards can take up all the space in your room. Thus, prepare your surface in advance. Vacuum the room, clean the table, and ventilate the room. After that, you can lay out all your cards around the room;
2. Rate your collection. To do this, you can use Google to find each card's price. Don't forget to write down the prices. This process can take a long time, so be ready for this;
3. Sort the cards. Once you've finished viewing card prices, you can create specific collections. To do this, place the cards according to the principles that you like best. Here are a few of them:
- Rarity. To do this, look at the symbol at the bottom of the frame, which shows the character's picture. The black symbol is a common card. The silver symbol is an uncommon card. The gold symbol is rare, and the orange symbol is mythic;
- Price. You can also sort your cards into groups according to the prices you find;
- Hologram. You can also sort your cards by holograms. Such cards are also often prized among players and collectors.
4. Check the dates on the cards. After you have sorted your cards according to one of the principles, you can check the dates on your cards. If your card has a date of 1997 or older, you have found a treasure. Such a card can cost a lot of money. Also, if your card is dateless and has a black border, your card belongs to the Alpha edition. Even a regular Alpha card can cost thousands of dollars;
5. Once you have sorted your cards, you can create collections that you can sell. It doesn't matter if it's holographic cards or legendary. The market will define everything. Thus, set aside cards up to $3 in one pile. These cards are best sold in bulk. Then set aside cards worth more than $3 each. You can sell these cards individually.
Once you have sorted all your cards, you can start looking for your site to sell.
2. Find The Best Place To Sell Magic Cards
So, you have sorted out your cards. Let's take a look at the online resources available to sell your MTG card collection:
- TCGPlayer. This service is ideal for selling Magic cards. This site is for card game players. It follows that you will be selling your cards to an active community. This will help you find a buyer as quickly as possible. But it is worth noting that the site takes a 10.25% commission from sellers. Besides, the platform lets sellers send their orders to the service before the sale. When a buyer is found, TCGplayer will pack your package and send it instead of you;
- eBay. This platform for the sale of goods has a massive database of millions of active buyers and sellers. So, this is another best place to sell MTG cards and also offers vast options. However, the site has some rules. So, you can send no more than 250 cards per month for free. Crossing this line means you will have to pay 5% on each sale. Thus, always consider this factor before setting the price for the card. It would also be helpful to look at other ads and use beneficial hints. So, many sellers offer free shipping or other bonuses;
- Card Kingdom. This service is also excellent for selling a card collection by one card or by sets. The key feature of the service is that it evaluates your card and sets its price. So, on average, sellers receive from 30% to 90% of the cost of the card. Also, the cost will vary depending on the condition of the card. The better its condition, the more you get;
- Channel Fireball. This service is for professional sellers and requires authentication to sell. You definitely should contact this service if you have a small shop selling cards;
- CardShark. This service also allows you to sell MTG collection quickly and efficiently. However, you need to pay 15% of the sale. But it is worth noting that the service gives only three days to confirm the order. And you must send the cards to the buyer on your own.
There are also other best ways of selling magic cards. So, you can use in-person options. These include:
- Local board game stores;
- Official tournaments;
- Local newspapers.
Unfortunately, such methods do not guarantee significant cash earnings. But they can also be worth the time spent. In the case of in-person selling, choose only the best and most valuable cards. It's because local shops, pawn shops or tournaments are only interested in rare cards.
3. Create Informative Selling Magic Cards Ad
Once you have chosen your service and sorted your cards, you must make a beautiful, short and concise ad. To do this, you must take a beautiful photo and write a short text to sell Magic cards.
We'll start with a photo.
When creating an ad, you must ensure that it attracts people as soon as they look at it. To do this, you need to take an attractive photo. To do this, use a camera (if you have one). If you don't have a camera, you can take a photo of the card with your phone. After that, you can edit the image in the photo editor.
Remember that you need to photograph the card during daylight. The photo should contain only the necessary items. A clean wooden or white surface is ideal for laying a card or several cards. Also, remember that taking other people's photos from the Internet is not an option.
Descriptive Selling Text
As for the text for the ad, you should follow several rules:
- Write briefly;
- Do not write a description of the card;
- Write the card's name, edition number, rarity, and year;
- If your ad has many cards, take a photo and number each card on the photo. Then in the ad, write the appropriate numbers and characteristics for each card according to the photo.
Following these rules can find a buyer as quickly as possible. And you will not overload them with a large amount of text.
How To Take Care Of Trading Cards Before Selling?
Every collector needs to take proper care of their cards. This will help keep Magic cards in best-selling condition. And this, in turn, will help you get the most profit while selling your cards. So, here are some useful hacks to keep your trading cards at their best:
- Cards love darkness and coolness. To keep your collectables looking their best, you should place them in a dark and cool place. It’s because heat and bright light can cause discoloration and drying of the cards. As a result, you can end up with brittle and dull cards. To solve this, you can buy a dark card box. Place the card inside the box and place the box in the cabinet;
- Keep it clean. It's not enough to just leave your cards in the box and forget about them. Over time, dust and dirt can accumulate in a box or a cabinet. Be sure to take out your cards once a month and wipe them with a dry cloth or towel. *But NEVER wet them while wiping!
- Protect them from mechanical damage. You can use special card sleeves for this. Just put a clean card inside the sleeve, and you don't have to worry about your card getting dirty or torn. Besides, you can play with such cards, and their end date will increase significantly;
- Use playmat. These mats will also be a great way to keep your cards looking decent. The mat creates an extra protective layer between the surface you are playing on and the cards. You can protect your cards from dirty, scratched and broken playing surfaces. Card mats also work great as an accessory. With it, you can better immerse in the game and visit the battlefield. So, you can choose the picture for the front of the mat. This way, you can create an unforgettable atmosphere of the battle.
Selling Magic The Gathering cards can be an enjoyable and profitable venture. But you should use the right strategy for this. You should consider all the tips outlined in this article to maximize your profits.
- Take inventory of your collection;
- Set realistic prices;
- Find a reliable buyer or reseller;
- Ensure secure payment methods;
- Offer excellent customer service.
Doing so can ensure that both you and your buyers are happy with each sale.
How Can I Get The Best Price For My Magic Cards?
The best way to get the highest price for your Magic cards is to take advantage of online marketplaces such as eBay, TCGplayer, and CardMarket. These sites make it easy to list your cards and can help you reach a larger audience of potential buyers.
What Should I Look Out For When Selling My Magic Cards?
Always scrutinize them and research their current market value before listing them. This will help you set a fair and reasonable price. Make sure to provide detailed descriptions of your cards. It will help buyers know exactly what they’re getting.
Do I Need To Package My Magic Cards When Shipping Them?
Yes. Use protective sleeves or other materials to prevent damage during shipping. Additionally, ensure to include a tracking number and insurance for items of value. Buyers will be safe in case of any issues with the delivery process.
Are There Any Fees Associated With Selling Magic Cards?
Yes. Most online marketplaces charge a fee for listing and selling Magic Cards on their sites (eBay charges 5%, while TCGplayer and CardMarket charge 10%). There may also be extra transaction fees, depending on the payment processing service used by the buyer.